. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . where ImagInatIon comes to play

Tuesday 26 June 2012

: on being alone

.
I wasn't going to share this with y'all till Friday, but now suddenly seems like a good time to talk about being alone. As you might already know, I went to the Cowboy Junkies concert tonight. But I had to go it alone because my companion cancelled out on me and decided it was a good idea to sell his ticket online instead of selling it to me.

Hmm... Oh well, his loss (?)... cause I was smokin' ! Yep. You don't have to believe me - just ask Doug or Brent or what's his name, the other aloners sittin' in ROW 1 at the CJ concert tonight. We had a real congregation goin' on in that front row, where we were perfectly aligned to view Margo Timmin's shoes to our little hearts' desire! And yes, I did ask if any of them had recently bought a ticket online...

Well, as it happens, this very same [non]companion's girlfriend (now ex, I guess) has a daughter (are you still with me?), and this daughter decided to film a slam poet by the name of Tanya Davis, doing her piece on How to be Alone. No one knew it would go viral, of course, and it's now nearing 5 million hits.

Well, so Tanya is coming to town this Friday, where she'll be performing this and other slams for our small, sweet audience at The Cyrk, Winnipeg's best kept secret. And even though being alone tonight sorta kinda sucked, I do often very much enjoy my alone moments. So I hope you enJoy the video. And ... well ... I hope you learn to find joy in spending time alone. It's important, you know. Apparently, 5 million people seem to think so!
.

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I've always enjoyed my own coming ;).
Stay inspired!

Unknown said...

very quickly, watching this, I went from "oh, this is pretty cool..." to "oh, my...I do a LOT of those things, too..." to a state of quiet amazement at what the artist was sharing with me/us.
I suppose one of the things that art does is express some of the most complicated, intense aspects of our living experience(s)in a simple, straightforward way that permits us to really understand what's going on. At least, that's what I think.
This art does this for me. I think I shall return to it from time to time, just to be reminded that being alone is not a tragic state of affairs; that being good at being alone is necessary to being good at being with someone.
As ever, thank you.

Marjolaine Hébert said...

It's a cool piece, isn't it? I'm glad you both enjoyed.

Deb's Creative Art said...

stumbled upon this while blog searching and fell in love with this video. Great find... great words....
thanks for sharing :) have a happy!

Deb's Creative Art said...

stumbled upon this while blog searching and fell in love with this video. Great find... great words....
thanks for sharing :) have a happy!

Marjolaine Hébert said...

Well, I'm glad you stumbled, then!